Ex- Al-Shabaab terrorist apologises to Ugandans for 2010 terror attacks

Muhammoud Mugisha, a self-confessed former Al-Shabaab terrorist has apologised to Ugandans for failing to alert the relevant security authorities to stop the 2010 bombings in Kampala.

76 people were killed and scores injured in the twin blasts at Kyandondo Rugby club in Lugogo and Ethiopian village restaurant in Kabalagala.

The bombs went off during the screening of the 2010 world cup finals match. While appearing for cross examination on Monday before Justice Owiny Dollo, Mugisha said he was sorry for failing to alert security about the explosives which led to the death of several people.

He added that “Ugandans had been good to me and I am sorry for my actions”.   Mugisha is the principal prosecution witness in the trial of 13 terror suspects.

The suspects face charges of terrorism, murder, attempted murder and being accessories to terrorism. Caleb Alaka, one of the defense lawyers said the apology is not enough to bring back the lost lives.

Court heard that Mugisha had three months to notify security from the time he saw the explosives to the time he was arrested after the bombs had been detonated.  When asked why he brought the explosives into Uganda, Mugisha said they were sent to him by his superiors in Somalia to bomb ‘pagans’ and all those people who are against their holy war.

However, Mugisha also admitted that he is a liar and that the extra judicial statement he made before Nakawa magistrate George Obongo confessing his involvement in the terror activities has both elements of truth and lies.  It also emerged that Mugisha is a habitual terrorist and had been arrested in Kenya over his involvement in terror activities several times.

Shortly before the cross examination, Mike Chibita, the Director of Public Prosecution appeared in court and introduced the new team led by Susan Okalany. Okalany was appointed to take over as the lead prosecutor following the shooting of the former lead prosecutor Joan Kagezi.

Chibita who was accompanied by his two deputies Amos Ngolobe and Elem Ogwal and other senior prosecutors, informed court that they had come to show solidarity to the fallen lead prosecutor Joan Kagezi. He said they appeared in court to see that justice is done.

Kagezi  the former prosecutor was shot dead in Kiwatule the evening before she was due to cross-examine the main prosecution witness, Mohammoud Mugisha.

Two unknown assailants trailed her on a motorcycle and fled after gunning her down infront of her children.  Trial resumed Tuesday with Mugisha being re-examined by state prosecutors before another witness can be called. Security in and around the court premises was tight with both plain clothed and uniformed police.