Rwanda wants BBC reporter charged

BBC BLAMED VICTIMS: President Paul Kagame of Rwanda

BBC BLAMED VICTIMS: President Paul Kagame of Rwanda

The Rwanda commission against genocide ideology (CNLG) wants British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) and its Reporter, Jane Corbin charged for promoting the Genocide ideology and denial of genocide says CNLG Executive Secretary,Jean Damascene Bizimana.

In 2014, Rwanda banned operations of the BBC kinyarwanda Radio after it produced and published a two part documentary-‘Rwanda’s Untold Story’- which irked the Rwandan government and prompted various protests and a subsequent establishment of an ‘independent’ commission to investigate the ‘motive’ behind.

After a two month investigation, Rwandan investigators, led by Martin Ngoga, Rwanda’s former prosecutor general recommended that BBC operations in Rwanda be halted untill further notice.

Now the anti-genocide ideology commission wants the issue to be handled by the international justice system.

Dr. Bizimana argues that genocide is an internationally recognized crime against humanity and the UK- where BBC and its reporter operate is one of the signatories to this declaration.

Bizimana also says that the documentary was disseminated with use of Information Communication Technology (ICT) and yet the UK ratified laws that prohibit use of information technology to promote genocide and its ideology.

“Using ICT and all sorts of technology to promote genocide ideology is punishable by law. Even if they (BBC) are in Europe, the impact is wider and reaches many people in the world. That is enough reason for this to be a crime in Europe too”. He said.

Last year, the United Kingdom parliament expressed dismay at the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) documentary entitled, This World – Rwanda’s untold story aired on BBC2,saying the documentary is a denial of genocide and should be investigated.

The house said in a statement released on November 6, 2014 that:  “this House is dismayed at the BBC’s production of the genocide denial programme entitled, This World – Rwanda’s untold story; recognises the central place the programme now occupies in the activities of genocide denialists.”

The House of Lords went on to urge the BBC to conduct an immediate inquiry into the editorial and managerial decisions which led to the airing of the programme on BBC2 on 1 October 2014.

The UK Government however expressed concerns over the banning of BBC operations a move they described as “disappointing”

“We are disappointed by RURA’s decision but we expect due process to be followed,” said the British High Commission in a statement this in May.

BBC’s controversial documentary challenges the Rwandan official account of the 1994 Genocide, and alleges the current Rwandan leader Paul Kagame and his then rebel group Rwandese Patriotic Front/Army (RPF/A) played a significant role in the Genocide by targeting and killing Hutus en mass.

During the 21st Commemoration of the Genocide in April, President Kagame lambasted the London-based broadcaster for its “Rwanda’s Untold Story” documentary that “blamed the victims of the Genocide for their own killing.”