Tanzania’s Lowassa eyes 2020 presidential bid

Former Prime Minister Edward Lowassa, and UKAWA and Chadema presidential aspirant, 2015

Former Prime Minister Edward Lowassa, and UKAWA and Chadema presidential aspirant, 2015

Two months after protesting defeat in Tanzania’s Presidential polls, Former Prime Minister Edward Lowassa says that he will lead his party-Chadema in the 2020 General Elections.

“I am physically fit to battle for the presidency,” said the former premier and loser in the Tanzania October 25 polls.
Lowassa who became the first opposition candidate to garner 6.2 million votes in the history of Tanzania, told business leaders supporting the movement for change this week that “I am not going to back down … people still love me and I have massive support.”

He says he will contest in the 2020 polls, arguing that he will emerge victorious despite being discontented with last year’s poll results which handed victory to his Chama Cha Mapinduzi (CCM) rival Dr John Magufuli.

According to Lowassa, who would be 68 in 2020, he has been silent since the election results were announced because he didn’t want to plunge the East Africa’s second biggest economy into turmoil.

“People could have killed each other. This is the chief reason why I and my party we couldn’t campaign against the election results nationwide,” he said pointing to the “poor constitution which impedes individuals or other organizations to challenge election results.”

Lowassa represented UKAWA opposition coalition comprising of CUF, NLD, NCCR-Mageuzi and Chadema.
Lowassa says he is now communicating with state security agencies to secure permission to move countrywide to thank his voters.

Prime Minister Majaliwa Kassim Majaliwa had earlier stated that no political party was allowed to campaign under the disguise for thanking voters warning that allowing it would result into political instability and violation of human rights.

The prime minister maintained that his stance was meant to prevent the country from falling into unnecessary political and social unrest.

Now the four parties have vowed to re-launch a campaign for a new constitution which was indefinitely called off by the National Electoral Commission (NEC) last year.