Ugandan general remanded to maximum security prison.

IN TROUBLE: Gen. David Sejusa

IN TROUBLE: Gen. David Sejusa

A military Court in Uganda has remanded the former Coordinator of Intelligence Services General David Ssejusa aka Tinyefuza, a long time critic of President Yoweri Museveni after he was charged with five counts among them being absent without leave and taking part in political activities in contravention of the army code of conduct.

The Military General Court Martial chaired by Major General Levi Karuhanga heard that on 30th April 2013, while still serving as an officer and a representative of the army in Parliament, the 61 year old asked for three weeks of absence from the legislative Assembly but he did not return absenting himself without leave which contravened the army code of conduct.
Court also heard that the renegade General disobeyed lawful orders when on 22nd November 2015 at the Democratic Party offices in Kampala attended and participated in the party activities in contravention of the political parties and organizations Act 2005.

Other charges included making political statements without authorization when he appeared on a radio station on 22nd April, 2015, ignoring a warning by the Chief of Defence Forces General Edward Katumba Wamala not to participate in any political activity but went ahead and participated in political rallies in Arua and Kabale among other places which violated the army code of conduct. He was also charged with participating in the nomination of Forum for Democratic Change President Dr Col Kizza Besigye and Justice Forum (JEEMA) activities.

General Sejusa declined to enter plea to any of the charges saying that the cases against him are premised on him being an active army officer yet there is a case pending before the High Court to determine whether or not he is still serving.
Last year General Sejusa dragged the army commissions and promotions Board to the High Court for refusing to retire him from the army following his application on April 8th 2015. “Am hearing about these charges for the first time since my arrest three days ago, and I have not recorded any statement in regard to any charges my Lord, and I will not enter any plea,” Sejusa told Court.

General Sejusa’s lead Defense Lawyer David Mushabe told Court that the army constructively retired his client when it stopped paying him salary and allowances, withdrew his guns and uniform and stopped deploying him. Mushabe added that General Sejusa applied for retirement from the army but the 90 day mandatory period elapsed without a response from the board.

The chairman of the court remanded him to Luzira Prison until February 9, 2016 after Sejusa protested the poor conditions at Makindye Military Barracks where he had been detained since his arrest in the early hours of Sunday morning.
Until 2013, the embattled general was one of the longest serving generals in the Ugandan military having joined the Ugandan liberation struggle with President Yoweri Museveni in the 1980s.

In 2013 he authored the “Muhoozi Project,” a controversial dossier alleging President Museveni was grooming his son Muhoozi Kainerugaba to succeed him as president and that there was a systematic plot to assassinate top army and government officials (including him, Amama Mbabazi, Aronda Nyakairima (has since died), and many others) against this scheme.

He then fled to the UK after calling for an investigation into the claims. General Sejusa returned to Uganda in December 2014, after close to two years in self-imposed exile.

Since his return he has been vocal and critical against President Museveni, the Ugandan military and police and he has claimed the forthcoming general election has already been rigged in Museveni’s favour.